Tuesday, November 11, 2008


I got a nice 3 point buck this past weekend using this .223 rifle that I am shown holding. I really like the low recoil and light weight. However, I am going to change the bullet type. I used a Nosler Partition that appeared to have too much penetration. From a 50 foot distance the bullet went in with a small hole, broke both front legs at the shoulder, plus hit the bottom part of one lung and exited with a tiny 1/4" hole. There was no blood trail so I was very very fortunate that the deer couldn't go far. I am currently leaning toward a less expensive 64 grain soft point that I hope will open up more.
One disadvantage of the Handi Rifle is that you really can't change barrels without affecting the aim point. Certainly you can, but the aim point of the rifle is changed a little depending upon how much you tighten the forearm screw. I think that when I tested this the aim point seemed to move 2" at 50 yards. I need to try it again to be sure of the amount of difference. So you would need to recheck this each time you switched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home